Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Hauling Airplanes in a Ford Escape...

So... I used to have a pretty cool 6' x 10' airplane trailer. I really liked it, and never unloaded the airplanes from it when i returned home from the field. Problem was, it was killing my little Ford Escape and I ultimately had to replace the transmission. It wouldn't shift to OD while pulling the trailer, and often wouldn't go into high gear. It protruded way above the top of the truck, and felt like I was constantly pumping the brakes from wind hitting the front of the trailer. I sold the trailer and was out of the hobby for a while...

When I decided to get back active, I realized I couldn't haul much of anything with some size to it. Transporting just one of my airplanes with a 80" wingspan was a chore. After pondering the problem a bit, this is what i came up with. I bought four 2" x 4"s at Lowes, pulled together some scrap 3/8" plywood I had letf over from a home remodelling job, and got busy. Now I can haul 2 airplanes with a 80" span plus a smaller bird, all wings & tubes, my flight box and misc field support gear needed.



This contraption allows me to hang a long wing or two in the ceiling, other wings and materials below the deck, and anchor the bigger airplanes to the deck. I can haul 3 smaller airplanes on the deck and leave the passenger seat open, if needed. It's just a back-yard build, but really made a difference in what i can haul. The whole assembly easily lifts from the truck to convert it back to normal use.


Wing storage below the new deck...
 

Flight box easily transported & accessed from the side door. 


Fueslages anchored to the deck with wheel stops to keep them from rolling around.


One airplane in the front seat...


Another wing stored under the deck and accessed from the RH side door.


Maybe this will give some of you ideas on how to mod your small vehicle for transporting multiple aircraft.

Dave AMA119484
http://www.RCDave.net