Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Airplane Hauler project...

 I bought my last RC Airplane trailer back around 2006. I loved it, and it was convenient to have all my gear ready to go, just hook up and go flying. I would waste a bunch of time cleaning out the truck, taking airplanes down from the garage or workshop, loading them in, hauling to the field...and then the reverse when I returned home. I'd loose an hour just moving things around, not to mention the hangar rash from bumping into things in the process. Well, fast forward a few years...life got in the way and I was inactive. I sold the trailer around 2013 and most of my big stuff, and moved on. This was my previous hauler setup...I sure loved that thing!




Around 2016 I fabricated an elevated floor for my old Ford Escape. It wasn't great, but it worked and allowed a safe space to transport my wing panels below the airplanes. It was heavy and cumbersome, tough to get in and out of the truck, and made it aggravating to use the truck for other things. It only allowed for 1-2 airplanes and support gear to be loaded and hauled. It didn't last long... I pulled it all out and returned the truck to it's original setup. He's a look at that...



Fast forward to 2022...I'm pulling my old gear out of the "mothballs", making repairs, and getting back in the air. Once again, I found myself with issues of loading, unloading, storing, transporting, etc. However, while I bought my last 5x8 enclosed trailer for $1000, and a 6x10 enclosed trailer for about $1200, I found those numbers have REALLY changed! A simple 5x8 with no side door now starts at over $3500!! That's not happening. 

An old friend, the late Drake Edwards, had an airplane hauler that I always thought to be a great idea. Low profile for easy towing and reduced wind drag (important with my little Ford Escape tow vehicle!), light weight, and easy access. I think it was built from a old pop-up camper. I've been pondering this a while, and decided to go on a search. My wife had been watching marketplace and had found several. We settled on an old unit that's been off the road and in hibernation since 2007, bought it, drug it out of the woods, and pulled it home. My plan is to gut it, hinge the top lid, wire the inside for charging, and do a few trailer upgrades to it (spare tire rack, nose wheel, etc). Here's a few pics of what just followed me home for $200...